Monday, August 25, 2014

DIY | Magnetic Wood Frame

I'm moving into my new apartment soon so I've been looking for some non-permanent ways to decorate the walls. Problem is, I get bored easily and can never settle on just one piece of wall art hanging there for a long period of time. I came up with this minimalist magnetic wood frame (made out of wooden paint stir sticks!) so you'll be able to change up your art, print, or poster as often as you want!



DIY Magnetic Wood Frame

(Difficulty: Easy)



Supplies

(1) Four wooden paint stir sticks (you can grab these from any hardware store, sometimes even for free!)
- Wooden square dowels would also work in a pinch!
(2) Adhesive magnetic sheet
(3) Drill (I just recently got this manual hand craft drill and was itching to try it out!)
(4) Twine or string
(5) Scissors
(6) Art piece of your choice!



 photo READYCART.png
What's ReadyCart?

Steps


1. Trace the length of the wooden sticks onto the adhesive magnet sheet four times. Then, cut them out. Peel off the adhesive and stick onto each of your dowels, trimming as necessary.


2. Take one pair of sticks and allow the magnets to stick together. Line them up and drill a 3/16” hole through the wood and the magnetic sheet. Only drill through this one pair and be sure to do this on an appropriate surface to avoid damage!

3. Open your drilled pair and place the top edge of a poster or print in between. Cut a length of twine to desired hanging length (I did 16”). String twine through both holes and tie securely.

4. Repeat for the bottom edge of the print with the undrilled pair of sticks and let the magnetic action do its work.

This is a simple way to show off your art without a distracting frame. I chose to display one of my recent hand lettering projects :) Fickle minds and switching prints made super easy due to the *magic* of magnets!

** Don't wanna DIY? Prefer to B-U-Y? I'll be selling any extras I made, along with many other items, in my shop Two Teaspoons coming soon. Stay tuned!

11 comments:

  1. This is so great! I love that it is magnetic! I would love, love it if you came by and linked up with us at The Makers link party over on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It worked surprisingly well for my first time using a drill (hardware noob here)! It's super easy and does not take much effort at all but the only suggestion I'd make is to weigh or clamp down whatever you're drilling to keep it in place. I was overall very pleased with the results. I drilled fairly soft wood so I'm can't say for sure how well it would work on other materials such as metal. Hope that helps! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet comment Onel! I tried to make this project different from other similar ones I've seen :)

      Delete
  4. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors. Magnetic Drill Press Finder

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you need to order pallets, the type you choose will depend on these factors-most specifically what the pallets will be used for and how much you can afford. Los Angeles Pallets

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you need to order pallets, the type you choose will depend on these factors-most specifically what the pallets will be used for and how much you can afford. Los Angeles Pallets

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karachi girls whatsapp numbers,Real whatsapp number,Pakistani girls numbers,Girls whatsapp numbers,Dating girls number,Fb girls number,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...